Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sure why not.

It used to be that Abigail would walk for everyone except me. I used to carry her everywhere and would get brief respites of rest at say bank counters, the post office counter, or random bench's. I could even periodically get her to walk after pleading on behalf of my left arm. Abigail seemed to have a sixth sense as to when the last bit of feeling would come back into my arm and ask to be carried again. I think it comes down to the fact that she knows I am a sucker when it comes to my girls...."More carry me daddy!!!?" Abigails asks. Sure why not. "May I watch more TV dad?" Shelby asks. Sure why not "Can I have the shiny red convertible Dad" Both children will ask when they are old enough to drive. I will fight the words from escaping my mouth, but they will slip out and I will say "Sure why not".

The point of all of this is that Abigail now no longer wants me to carry her everywhere. We walk hand in hand, slowly but at a steady pace, almost everywhere now. She even knows to run fast when we cross streets or are in parking lots to keep up with my quickened pace. Her little fingers firmly grasping my left hand with a kind of frightened determination, as if finally wanting to explore the world on her own two feet, but still wanting that reassuring connection to me.

No comments: