Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kids say the darndest things.

"Does Abigail have a mommy?" Those exact words came out of one of Abigail's classmates mouths this afternoon. Since she has never met Melinda, I understand the 4 year old logic. This was also the same precocious 4 year who uttered the famous line.."Does Abigail speak English"? Morgans mother was mortified but relaxed when I almost choked laughing so hard.

I spend Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at Abigail's preschool so she can have social interaction with other kids her age. I play the role of a third set of hands to keep Abigail out of trouble. Back in the fall we had hoped she would be able to spend 2 or 3 hours at preschool with out one of us there but after 30 minutes it became clear that was not going to work due to her developmental delays and lack of speech skills. Melinda and I feel it is important that Abigail get the social contact, and since I have the more flexible schedule I get to spend my Tuesday and Thursday afternoons hanging out with 13 three to four year olds.

I really enjoy it...a lot!

When I dropped Abigail off today, Will and Heather shooed me away and told me to come back in an hour. One tall mocha, one depressing newspaper, and a stroll thru the game section at Blockbusters later, I walked into the preschool not knowing what to expect....she didn't even know I had left! She had spent the hour playing at the sand table quietly. To think I was actually worried while I had been gone. I missed playing with the playdoh, popsicle sticks, and reading to a pile of kids. As happy as I am that I can leave Abigail the preschool for an extended period of time now I am really going to miss being there.

We received a great list of ketogenic recipes that don't require drinking the cream one of the followers of this blog ...Thanks Fawn!!! We really look forward to trying them out as Abigail does not enjoy drinking the cream anymore.

Abigail had another stupendous day! Lots of fun play times and interactions. Her big sister, Shelby, even commented on how nice it is to play with Abigail now.

No comments: