Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ladies and Gentleman we have Ketosis!....and watch out for mountain lions.

We have achieved Ketosis! Abigail woke up nice and cranky this morning with a super low blood sugar count and the darkest purple (3+) ketone marker on the tester. The nutritionist said it was a perfect Ketosis. The doctor had told us a sure fire sign of Ketosis is lethargy. This make take several weeks to go away. On Monday during the day it was all we could do to keep her in the room, this morning it was all we could do to keep her awake. She got to eat a 2/3 rd portion meal at 9:30 today. Bacon, Butter, and Heavy Whipping cream! She gobbled the bacon down then chugged the Cream and butter mixed together. Immediately afterward she was raring to go for about an hour, followed by a nice long nap.

The doctor and the nutritionist were so happy with her progress they let her have a full portion meal for lunch 414 Calories with a 4 to 1 ratio. The ratio is fat to combined protein/carbohydrates with proteins taking priority over the carbohydrates.

Melinda and I spent several hours with the nutritionist and the nurse practitioner today going over meal prep, planning, and the keto calculator program.

There is even talk of letting us go home tomorrow afternoon if she continues to make progress and handles the food well! We don't want to get our hopes up but it would be nice to be home an d in our own space.

I just took a nice long run at a place call the "Dish" it was a 3.5 mile loop either going up or down then two miles back to the hotel. There were two very large radio telescopes at the summit of the park. Not to mention the signs warning me of Mountain Lions. Whats the trick with lions....make a lot of noise? Play dead? Run away?...just kidding on the last one.

Melinda and I have settled into a nice sharing of duties. I take the night shift (this spares Melinda's bad back) we share the mornings, and I get afternoons off. Its all working out nicely.

Have I mentioned how much of a trooper Abigail is??

This is Abgail and Melinda finishing up Lunch. Cheese 1 large piece, mayonaise, heavy whipping cream, and 3/4 of a hot dog. Abigail loved it!

2 comments:

Willemijn said...

Hi Mike and Abigail - I am thrilled to hear that things are going so well and that maybe ... just maybe you can home home! I will keep my fingers crossed. We had a very quiet day at preschool today with only 11 kids and NO grown ups so Heather and I had lots of fun! The kids were wondering where you were - I said "vacation" ;)

Uber big hugs to Abigail!!!!

Will

keithandkaty said...

M & M...and of course Miss A.

I am so relieved to hear her little body is cooperating. I miss her so much, and just wish I could give her a "squeeze". Keep your spirits up...sounds like you guys have been your usual strong selves. Keith keeps asking about her progress...he is out of town again. I have been reading him your blog, so he doesn't miss anything.
See you soon...
Katy...& Keith.